Holy Trinity Church
On 5 May 1845, a committee comprising Reverend Hermann Randall, officials of the government and officers of the forces, met to discuss, the construction of a church in Nuwara Eliya, at an estimated cost of £900. Captain Nelson designed the building, with the construction work done, chiefly by the officers and men of the local garrison of the 15th Regiment, under the supervision of Major James Brunker.
It took seven years, after the building commenced, for the church to be completed. Upon its completion, it was consecrated by Bishop James Chapman, on 24 February, 1852 (St. Matthias’ Day). The first vicar of the Holy Trinity Church, from 1843 to 1846, was Rev. von Dadelszen.
In the late 1890s, the congregation proposed enlarging the Church, there was however some opposition, who proposed the construction of a new Church, near the old cemetery. Most of the congregation however, preferred the existing site. In 1889, the church was enlarged. The original portion of the building, is at the church’s western end. The additions can be noted, by the difference in size of the corbels, supporting the main rafters.
On 18 April 1954, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, attended services at the Holy Trinity church, with the Queen gifting a blue carpet and a stained glass window, in remembrance of their visit.
In 2001, the 100-year-old Pipe Organ, which had been out of order for over 30 years, was restored, at a cost of approximately half a million rupees.
There are a number of memorial plaques on the church walls, including Dr. G. Gardner, Superintendent of the Royal Botanical Gardens, Peradeniya, Captain William Fisher, father of Lord John Fisher, who was thrown off his horse and killed, Reginald Beauchamp Downall, tea planter, Legislative Council member; and Lady Carolina Ridgeway, wife of Sir Joseph West Ridgeway, the Governor of Ceylon.
Several tombstones in the church yard, include, Lady Olive Mary Caldecott, wife of Sir Andrew Caldecott, the last Governor of Ceylon, and the family members of Sir Samuel Baker.
A 10 -minute Drive from The CheRiz – Nuwara Eliya.
Book your excursion with your Guest Services Manager at The CheRiz